My Layouts

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

NSBR

As a many of you know, I have a boring customer service job with lots of down time. The IT dept. has made some pretty major restrictions over the last nine months, which is understandable. So I am always looking for ways to fill the downtime. When I started this job, almost 2 years ago, I spent the majority of my time on Pogo.com playing games. I used to be a Pogo addict. Then for awhile I got in to the SAHM sales games. See how many internet based small companies you can sell from. I think that lasted about 3 months. I had 8 different affiliations for stuffed animals, bath & body products, dog treats, candles, Watkins & it all started with Tupperware. That's how I got introduced to chats. Now the IT guys have them blocked.

Last summer I started scrapping. I had a trial copy of PSE5 on my work computer and was doing pages in my downtime. Well I guess the downloading of design files is what alerted the IT dept and games that were downloaded were against company policy and could end up in termination. My direct supervisor didn't think that my PSE was included, cuz it wasn't a game, but I wasn't taking any chances. So I took it off.

Now I look for ways to fill that time. I used to spend most of the day on different scraping boards. But it seems that things have slowed somewhat in the community. So I found some other interesting sites. I thought I'd share some of them with you. They are mostly blogs, but not on blogging sites. I can however read blogs again, I just can't leave comments on most of them. So that helps kill some time too.

The new season of Top Chef just started back up two weeks ago. Bravo TV has a great website that includes all their shows, but the only one I really watch is Top Chef. After I've watched the episode, I go to this site Top Chef blogs and read over the opinions of not only the judges, but also chefs from past seasons like Harold, Casey, Dale and a new power ranking from Brian Malarkey. There is also recipes from all the seasons. Great site!!

How I Met Your Mother ~ Barney's Blog is a comedic blast. Have loved this show since the very begining. At first is was hard to see Barney not Doogie Howser, but he changed and grew on me. The blog will make no sense whatsoever if you don't watch the show. But if you do, it's hysterical.

Grey's Anatomy; Grey Matter by the writters, The Emerald City Bar blog by Joe the Bartender & Nurses Station blog by Nurse Debbie. Another great way to kill an hour or so. Or catch up on what you've missed or forgotten since the writter's strike started. With new episodes starting back up in a month, this is great place. I really like the writter's blog, often explains what's going on in their mind as they were writting the show.

LOST is my number one favorite obsession. Have loved it since day one. Have a million questions that still haven't been answered. As a matter of fact, I've found that I've forgotten a lot of my questions. This is a wikipedia page. Gives basic info on the show and lists episode recaps from all 4 of the seasons. I've started back with season 1 and reliving my love of LOST.

What are some of your non scrapping sites that you love to visit. Share a good one with me, if I fall in love with a site, I'll share a little lovin with you in the form of a GC. Just leave me the site addy in comments.

Well, it's getting closer to that never popular time of leaving for work. And as always it's later than I thought. Have a good day all!

12 comments:

Kristine said...

How I Met Your Mother is a riot!!!! I laugh myself silly each time! Barney is such a pig! hahahahah....we also love 2 1/2 Men....watch the re-runs too.....Charlie is a dog but a funny one....

Have a great day!

Azrood said...

If you have down time, I don't see why they would care that you're playing around with scrapbooking. What is it that they expect you to do while you're sitting there? Sadly, I don't have any recommendations on NSBR sites as the last time I ventured away from the usual places, I ended up scouring PetFinder every day and we ended up with another puppy in our home, lol. :)

AfriDigiDiva said...

My daughter is a Grey's Anatomy fan from day one. I can't understand it. But I'm a HOUSE fanatic and she looks at me like I'm strange. Go figure. I hope you find some resolution with your IT guys so you can scrap at work in your downtime.

Anonymous said...

I love my downtime! But due to the boss having a fit over my blogging and stuff on the company's computer, I just bring my laptop, and set it up...(I really look important with 2 computers...lol )...ok honey, have a great day! See you at my blog! HUGS

Barb said...

I don't get not being able to scrap on your downtime either, but I used to work for a large IT company and I get all the "Dilbert-ville" attitudes about a place like that. So I'm not surprised.

I love the Bravo site too, it's great. And I just found this guy yesterday...talk about eye candy! I'm going to highlight him this week. I want to learn how to do this. http://stuckincustoms.com/

Of course I love Pioneer Woman, The Sartorialist, Pozy Goes Cozy, all those fun blogs..... Oh, and all the photography and Photoshop/Lightroom sites.

Purple Frog said...

Hi Diane!!
I rarely ever venture off scrapping sites unless I'm in quest of some useless bit of trivia information, then I'm a bloodhound until I find what it is I'm looking for! I'm SO a fan of useless information!
Hope you have a GREAT day at work and don't get TOO bored!

Purple Frog

Petra said...

well I work at a daycare so I never have downtime, so have no clue how you must feel! It think that's so not for me...but if it was possible to scrap during down-time, I'm in..LOL. Great sites and TFS

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Last time I worked when we had downtime we took turns going outside to smoke. ROFL Not really healthy. It was a jewelry store, no internet access to the very end.

Your IT guys sound like a bunch of butts. I can't even think of any non-scrap sites I go to other than Webkinz. ROFL And that's a game.

Monique said...

Glad to see that you can read blogs again! I love How I Met Your Mother too, it's great to watch while scrapping... lol. As for things to do in spare time.... Hmmmm...
I use to do pogo too, now not so much though. I've been hanging out at Sweet Shoppe designs lately. I work on my blog a lot, I'm always looking for layouts to showcase. I love browsing sites like pillsbury.com for some new recipes to try. I love igoogle for keeping track of blogs that I love that have been updated. And my DD and I love killing time playing on the Webkinz site.... lol.

Have fun finding new ways of filling the down time!

Leigh said...

OMG! They have cut off all of your interests at work. What is wrong with those fun-suckers??? My claim to shame is a fascination with www.tmz.com. There I said it.

DawnMarch said...

Since you are a TV fan, you may already know about this one, but one of my favorites is Television Without Pity:

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/

It gives great (and funny) summaries of popular TV shows (including Lost).

Amanda said...

Here's one of my favorite non scrapping sites, well blogs http://motherhooduncensored.typepad.com/motherhood_uncensored/