My Layouts

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Having a great time.

So I told you I was gonna miss you more than you'd miss me. The nice thing about staying with family is you can play on their computer almost like it was your own. So I thought I'd pop in and give you a quick update on what's been occupying my time. I left my UBC cable at home so I don't have photos right now to share with you, but give me a few days and you'll be sick of em.

I flew into Jacksonville and decided that since this was the 1st time in almost 10 years I've been near an ocean, I had to go to the beach. So I drove over to Jacksonville Beach, took off my shoes and socks, rolled up my pants legs and walked in the surf for a few minutes. The beach wasn't very crowded, it was about 68 degrees and the water was cold. but the majesty of the waves was amazing. It made me tear up for a moment. I left Shannon at home with the dogs cuz he had to work. It was really a moment that you wanted to share with someone you love. I got lots of photos so I'm sure that I'll be able to share.

Friday was just a hang out and do nothing day. My Aunt had just gotten home from a 2 week vacation herself and needed a day of recovery. She showed me around the community where she lives. It's a 55+ subdivision that covers about 7 sq miles, has a golf course, 6 swimming pools, a restaurant, an auditorium and is just really cool. I think it's a wonderful place and several of the seniors I met were in their 70-80 and very active. Really gave me a different perspective on senior communities.

Yesterday we went to Homosasis Springs and a state wildlife preserve. It was super neat. It starts with a 20 minute pontoon boat ride down the Pepper Creek (if the water level is high enough, if not you have to take the tram). They have this hippo there, Lu, who's been at the park since 1966 and is a big attraction. He used to be a movie star, lol. They do a big production in feeding him. They also have 12 alligators, that are about to go into hibernation. Several of them were up on a bank and were so still that I thought they were fake, until one started to move. Yikes. They have a huge bird aviary with just hundreds of birds native to Florida. I loved all the pink flamingos. Nothing says Florida like flamingos. But the best animal of all they have are the manatees. The Homosasis river is a spring so it's very warm and the manatees like to come in from the Gulf in the winter months. They are big beautiful animals with no natural enemies, but man. The one's that are in the park, you can look at from an underwater viewing area, are just scarred up from propeller marks. It was a good time and I took just a ton of photos yesterday.

Then we came home to watch the Ohio State game. My aunts are BIG fans (the charge of visitor room and board is always an Ohio State Souvenir). Well, my boys let us all down and ended up losing to a very good, but unranked Illinois team. So we most likely are now out of the National title hunt. Next weeks game against Michigan (who also lost yesterday) will determine our fate as to if we go to the Rose Bowl. I'm sure that my mother, who was born in Kansas but is now a Michigan fan, is extremely happy that her Kansas Jayhawks are undefeated for the first time in like forever. To help with our misery, we went to dinner at a cool little place called Stumpknockkers. What a name. It's best known in the area for it's fried catfish. Which I had an enjoyed every bite. It's funny because Fantacy was teasing me earlier in the week about her uncle who caught her a bunch and how good she cooked it up. I've been itching for it all week. Today we're going to Tampa area to see another aunt and tomorrow may be a trip to Disney. I haven't been there since I was 17.

Well if I go on and on anymore, than I'll just bore everyone to death and not have anything for the post when I get home. Oh yeah, I'm still smoke free!! It's been 9 days now.

Be back home on Tuesday so you can expect some photos starting Wed. Hope everyone has had a great weekend.
Until next time, scrap happy!
Diane

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are gonna be busy girl!!! Disney hasn't changed much...it still make you feel like a kid! I am so glad to hear "9" days...WOW, what an accomplishment!!! Keep it up! Have fun in Tampa today, and I'll see you tomorrow....PS....something on my blog for you!!!

Gina.Maria said...

What a nice time! Enjoy the rest of your visit!

Kristine said...

I added your songs for one 'cuz I like you and two I LOVE Gnarls Barkely...never heard anything from VF before & was pleasantly surprised! Glad you enjoyed it!!!

I'm in a dark place place (love /hate relationship with digi scrap community..lol)...I'm going to soak away my pissy mood in a tub...

Have fun at your aunts!
Miss you.....

Unknown said...

My parents live in Tampa. I stayed down there this summer a bit too. It is a beautiful city. Sounds like you are having a great trip.

absolutartist1 said...

9 days!! You go girl!! Keep it up! Glad you're enjoying your time! :)